Tuesday, June 3, 2008

prayers I like.





Thanks be to Thee, our Lord Jesus Christ,
for all the benefits which Thou hast given us,
for all the pains and insults which Thou has borne for us.
Most merciful Redeemer, Friend and Brother,
May we know Thee more clearly,
Love Thee more dearly,
And follow Thee more nearly,
Day by day. Amen
(Richard of Chichester 1197 - 1253)



Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy;
O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

(Francis of Assisi)



Make us worthy, Lord,
To serve our fellow men
Throughout the world who live and die
In poverty or hunger.
Give them through our hands
this day, their daily bread;
And by our understanding love
give peace and joy. Amen
(Mother Teresa, Calcutta (1910 - 1997)



Grant to me, O Lord,
to know what I ought to know,
to love what I ought to love,
to praise what delights thee most,
to value what is precious in thy sight,
to hate what is offensive to Thee.
Do not suffer me to judge according to the sight of my eyes,
nor to pass sentence according to the hearing of the ears of ignorant men;
but to discern with true judgment between things visible and spiritual,
and above all things to inquire what is the good pleasure of thy will.
(Thomas A Kempis)


Be present, O Merciful God, and protect us through the silent hours of this night, so that we who are wearied by the changes and chances of this fleeting world may repose upon thy eternal changelessness; though Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen.

(Book of Common Prayer)


Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Saviour and my hope is in you all day long.

Remember, O Lord, your great mercy and love, for they are from of old. Remember not the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to your love remember me for you are good, O Lord... For the sake of your name, O Lord, forgive my iniquity, though it is great.

(King David ~1000BC (Ps 25)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like those prayers, too =) And when I grow up I will have the Friedrich monk painting in my living room.